Re: Topband: Did I miss the Era!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Did I miss the Era!
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 07:32:30 -0500
> I feel like I have missed the era by not knowing or having worked Earl
> K6SE
> and also from reading and studying "DXing on the Edge" and the legacy of
> Stew Perry W1BB.  They sound like great guys...

Let me tell you about some other great guys.  I came after Stew's time
pretty much, and when I was a growing-up contester in my teens in the 70s
Earl and I attended all the same events (SoCal) and knew each other but I
had no interest in 160 meters.  Earl was definitely a great person and
mentored many.

The experience that I had in January working with W8JI to reclaim the late
W4AN's CQWW 160 CW record makes me think that the 160 pioneers are alive and
well (with a definite nod to AA1K and N6TR for encouragement).  I'm not half
the 160 op that many of you guys are on this reflector, but thanks to Tom
and those guys, I'm thinking I might like to strive to be one.

I think THIS is the era, and Stew and Earl paved the way!

Mark, N5OT