Re: Topband: Beverage question

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage question
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:42:52 -0500
As many have reported, it should work fine through the woods.  Also, as many
have reported, falling trees and branches can be a problem.

I've found that having the wire free-floating lessens the extent of the
damage.  I have 4 of the DX Engineering reversible beverages.  I use fence
posts topped with 5' of PVC and a plumbing T-connector at the top.  The 450
ohm ladder line for the reversible beverage runs through the T connectors.

Because it is free-floating through the posts, I have yet to have the wire
actually break (or even stretch noticeably) because of a tree or branch
falling on it.  It will take the part it lands on down to the ground and
bend the PVC down (and break it, usually at the point just above where it
attaches to the fence post), but even in that state the antenna will still
work and it's an easy repair.

Here are some photos:
PVC and T-connector:  http://www.klient.com/post.jpg
Attaching to the fence post:  http://www.klient.com/clamps.jpg