Topband: Beverage question

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage question
From: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:51:10 -0600
I have been reading on Beverage antennas in an effort to install at least one
here at my home. The problem I have run into is that my house sits on top of a
hill and for a large part is surrounded by woods. In John Devoldere's Low Band
DXing book (second edition) he states to NOT run a beverage through the woods.
One of the directions I can go that is not through the woods is South West (VKs
& ZLs), but that would put the wire across a pond. The wire would be about 20
feet above the surface of the pond, if I were to mount the antenna at 5 feet
(or so) at ends.  Would the antenna benefit from a "counterpoise" wire
suspended under the primary wire and grounded at both ends, at the original 5
foot height?  Would the "counterpoise" wire provide the requisite lossy earth
under the antenna to work, or am I just wasting wire?

Clint - W5CPT