Re: Topband: Wire antennas and antenna analyzers

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,Björn Mohr <bm@broadcast.se>,"'Topband 160'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wire antennas and antenna analyzers
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:23:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
To: "Björn Mohr" <bm@broadcast.se>; "'Topband 160'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:32 AM

> The consensus seems to be that there is no need to worry
> about static build
> up when using the analyzer on large antennas. >>
>
> Having been involved in the design of antenna analyzers I
> strongly disagree.

I agree with Tom  When I was working on my vertical array, I had my my HP
network analyzer attached to an antenna, a few non-threatening clouds came
up, I heard a little snap, felt a little shock, and presto the analyzer was
blown to the tune of a  a $3000 trip to HP.  Now I always have a 1 or 2k
resistor from the antenna to ground to bleed off static build-up, and when
clouds appear, I quit.
John K9DX