Topband: RX Link via Gunnplexer

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RX Link via Gunnplexer
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:45:27 -0400
> From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
> Subject: Topband: remote 160m receiver

I am considering a remote receiving site for 160m. I would like to send the
segment from 1810 to 1850 using a uhf or microwave link to my qth, about 4 km
away. This would mean receiving the 40 kHz band as a whole and mixing it with
the uhf oscillator. At the receiving end a broadband down converter must place
it in my 160m band. Any thoughts on the feasibility and possible pitfalls?

Raoul.

The over the counter 10ghz amateur M/A Gunplexer system with a 2 or 3 foot
antenna is a perfect solution for your request..  Just mix the 160 meter RX
IF signal on the IF port provided by the unit and you should be very happy
with the results on the other end if you have LOS.  Pay attention to the
levels to prevent I/M issues.  Since the Gunnplexer mounts directly on the
antenna flange you can use RG-59 to feed your 160 meter IF to the unit.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ