Topband: Two Element Phased "L's"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Two Element Phased "L's"
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:28:20 -0500
Good Afternoon Guys,

I was pondering the logistics of raising a tower in the midst of the "bog" in
my back yard, when it dawned on me that I have some nice, strategically spaced
trees to the east of my already erected 75' high inverted "L" at the front
yard...

I paced the distance 'twixt the two, & it's right on 1/4-wavelength for 160...I
then checked the radiation/gain patterns for phased verticals in the 1st
edition of ON4UN's book, & I was amazed to see that a 1/4-wave spaced array
with 135-degree phasing can yield (in theory) up to 4.9 db. gain! That's the
ticket for me...

A line has already been cast over an appropriate limb --- it remains for me to
lace a wire through it now, & make ready for the ground radial laying "party"
in late October, after the last of the grass on the lawn has been "harvested".

I sure would like to do something with the bog out back, though...my son has
been building an elevated mountain bike trail over it, & that's about as much
use as anyone has gotten out of it.

Also pondering the logistics of making a rotatable K9AY loop --- an excuse to
put an old CDR Ar-44 rotator that I have here to work, I guess!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ