Re: Topband: Are US Possession DX?

To: <herbs@surfvi.com>, "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Are US Possession DX?
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:23:25 -0500
Herb wrote:

...snip...

> I brought this issue up because there *is* confusion my many including logging
> software gurus.  It would be nice if the ARRL would make a statement in the
> rules that would make it crystal clear that "for the purpose of the ARRL 160
> Meter Contest off shore U.S. Territories and Possessions are not considered
> DX." If that is what the ARRL CAC really intends they could help out by saying
> so.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Herb, and others...

>From the ARRL website, we get the following list of "Sections:"

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/org/secinfo.html

The traditional US sections are listed, along with the following:
Pacific -- Hawaii and U.S. possessions in the Pacific
Puerto Rico
US Virgin Islands

Herb presented evidence to me previously that illustrates there is a problem in
the community.  Most notably, that given his location in the world, no other DX
would call him, and no other DX would return calls from him with responses
similar to "no dx to dx u lid."  He had a good signal into MN, and I'm certain
was being heard all over EU, SA, and AF.  To receive exactly ZERO calls from DX
tells me that there is a problem.

It is hoped that Ward-N0AX can somewhat promote these facts and encourage the
log authors to take a look at their software to ensure that for the ARRL 160M
contest, all of these 'section' countries, which for every other measure are
considered DX, are not DX but sections and eligible for QSO points and
multiplier status.

Any DX failing to recognise PR, VI, and points west of KH6 as 'Sections,' are
losing both Qs and mults in the ARRL 160M contest.  Herb further provided
evidence that suggests certain log authors had programmed into their software
certain controls that further diminish his opportunity to work DX for mults.
CT was mentioned, and a suitable workaround for Herb was discussed on Topband,
but no workaround for EU to call Herb--hence the 'no dx to dx u lid' comments.
This needs to be fixed.  Not everybody uses CT.  My intuition tells me that the
problem is more common that some are indicating.  I encourage all to test their
software to see if the problem exists elsewhere.

Good luck Herb...  Don't lose hope.  We need you on the band for that ever
elusive SWEEP.  Let's try to get this fixed by next December...

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com