Re: Topband: 1/4 versus 1/2 wave vert.

To: w8ji@contesting.com, df2py@t-online.de, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/4 versus 1/2 wave vert.
From: KZurawski@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:36:53 EST
the antenna feed. With a half waves current node up half way up the antenna,
I believe ground currents peak farther out from the antenna feed point. All
these ground currents need to flow back to the antenna feed point. The half
wave  currents have to flow further back to the feed than the quarter waves
currents.  Therefore the half wave ground currents flow through more lossy
ground
R,  therefore more I2R losses. Can one then conclude that the half wave ground
plane  requirements are more severe, requiring a larger lower loss ground
system,  compared to the half waves ground system. I've seen some contradictive

statements made about this. I've always wondered about this. I'm getting to
launch a kite deployed vertical for 160, and can't decide to use a quarterwave
or half wave hunk of vertical wire. Someone set me straight.
Thanks
Ken Zurawski
WB9QDL
Louisville, CO