Re: Topband: Discharging static

To: "Jim Kearman" <jkearman@att.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Discharging static
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:37:04 -0500
> From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>

> Is one of those old pi-wound 2.5 mH 750-mA chokes, connected across the
feed point, sufficient?

Hi Jim,

I can't see why it shouldn't be sufficient --- I used to place an old
surplus 2.5 mh. RF choke right from my Beverage to ground (back when that
antenna was 1600' long), & it worked FB for me...

Prior to its inclusion, I could draw what seemed like at least 1/8" long
blue arcs between the end of the wire & ground!

Another alternative (though I haven't tried it) is to add a multi-megohm
resistor where you might normally place the choke.

Try it --- you've got nothing to lose except for that strange, tingly
feeling in your fingertips whenever you might handle the end of that
vertical...seriously!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ