Re: Topband: Arching Prevention

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Arching Prevention
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:14:20 -0500
John, W1FV said:

> There is no voltage
> across the two N.O. contacts for 80m because those two contacts are
> jumpered together and are not connected to anything else.

I wrote this and made a typo here.  It should read "...across the two N.C.
contacts for 80m..." and not "N.O."  Sorry for the confusion.

The other point I made to made to Bob (AA6VB) off-list was that it's
essential to keep moisture out of the switching enclosure.  In my experience
it's practically impossible to keep water or condensation out of any closed
container that's outdoors.  Moisture always finds a way in, but can't always
find a way out.  I've seen sealed outdoor boxes fill up with water.
Therefore I always drill drain holes on the bottom of any box that goes
outdoors.  Having done this the inside of my boxes remain bone dry at all
times.

I no longer suffer relay failures, although occasionally I fry SO-239's on
the hot side of the loading coil where there are very high voltages present
on 160m at 1500W out.

73, John W1FV