Topband: Arching Prevention

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Arching Prevention
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:59:21 -0800
Hello Topbanders,

I have a relay system that switches a base loading coil in and out of a
60 foot vertical. While on 160, the open contacts across the 80 meter
relay arch, interfering (albeit intermittently) with 160 meter operation
at the kw level.  I understand the voltage is quite high at the top of
the coil on 160 with an 1/8th wave vertical, but is there a way to
prevent this arching from occurring?  I have tried two relays so far,
one from Magnacraft another from Potter & Brumfield, and I have the same
problem with both.  They all work fine on 80, by the way. I am going to
replace them with Array Solutions 5kw relays, but it seems to me the
problem is not necessarily in the power handling capability of the
relay, since the arching is across the open contacts of the 80 meter
relay when it is not being used. The voltage seems like it is looking
for a path from the top of the coil to ground and is finding it across
the 80 mete relay. Can anyone suggest a method that will prevent this.
There must be a way, because I have seen a number of articles for this
type of relay system which is really nothing new.

Thank you for your help.

73,

Bob/AA6VB