Re: Topband: Engineering ?? @ relays

To: "Larry Higgins" <n9dx@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Engineering ?? @ relays
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:20:21 -0400
> Just about every  electrical or electronics distributors,
or places like
> Radio Shack, still sell both types.  Use the residue type
and there should
> be no further problem for a long time to come.

As long as you never hot switch the contacts and the "lube"
is very low viscosity it might work OK.
As a general rule I never ever leave any coating on a relay
contact in my station equipment.

Ameritron gets by with the relays they use because contact
pressure is high and the relays are designed to wipe. Unless
the environment is poor it is many years between required
cleanings.

73 Tom