Re: Topband: Engineering ?? @ relays

To: <paul@w8aef.com>, "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Engineering ?? @ relays
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:15:29 -0500
>> Theory 2: My gut tells me that a robust design would include a self
>> cleaning wiping action on the contacts, like on a band switch.  I will
>> not
>> get reliable switching using traditional relays.

As others have pointed out, RX switching relays can be more troublesome than
TX switching due to contact oxidation.  I used sealed relays in my K9AY
loops, preamps and RAS-8x2 RX antenna switch that have pretty good wiping
action. Several companies make the same basic relay -- OEG OMI series, Omron
G2R series, and I think the Magnecraft 976 series is the same. Higher
current members of this family have been mentioned by W8JI (Schrack's
version in particular) and are used in newer MFJ and DX Engineering remote
antenna switches.

For TX, relays used in the Ameritron RCS-8 and the Comtek boxes are also
fine. Array Solutions sells the relays they use in their products, which are
probably the best power switching relays readily available to hams.

73, Gary
K9AY