Re: Topband: RE : Engineering ?? @ relays

To: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be>, "'K9AY'" <k9ay@k9ay.com>,<paul@w8aef.com>, "'Ford Peterson'" <ford@cmgate.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RE : Engineering ?? @ relays
From: "Ulrich Weiss" <dj2ya@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:57:44 +0200
hello Jos et al.,

you wrote:
"We encountered this problem in audio freq switching years ago, even with
sealed relays. The cure, let flow a DC current of some  mA
similtaneously with the micro Amps of the functional AC signal."

after long and disappointing experimenting in my early days of amateur radio
I have been using SDS S-2 relays (now made by Matsushita) in all my linears
and ant switches for at least 15 years now...
if you avoid hot switching, they can easily stand 1.5 kW at 50 Ohms and you
can do away with "resting currents"...
they are fully sealed and employ a 5-layer coating of different alloys on
their contacts for switching currents between 1 uA and 5 A...
I've never had a single failure on either TX or RX in more than 50 000
(contest) QSOs...

Uli, DJ2YA