Topband: Cattle and Beverages

To: TOPBAND@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Cattle and Beverages
From: "Henry G. Elwell, Jr." <elwell@salisbury.net>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 21:26:44 -0400
There is a physical problem with cows in a field with transmission
lines/beverages high enough to be over the cows.  Cows take great
delight in rubbing their necks against  support structures, and
eventually the vibrations causes a malfunction in the lines.  They
became such a great problem for me, that I had to run an electric fence
wire high enough to clear the cows.  I   dropped 2-3 wires vertical
around the 10 feet above ground 4x4 posts in a manner that the cows
touched the hot wire before the posts: it worked the now cows take a
wide detour around the posts.  Of course it may be necessary to switch
off the electricity when you want to receive anything, but the noise
blanker on the Orion completely eliminate the noise pulse here.

    While I have your attention, last year there was a suggestion  about
laying lines and control cables on top of the ground rather than
trenching them.  Having needed to replace a 450 foot control cable for
my rotator, and not wanting to put the cable below ground surface
because I'm lazy, I made sure the cable was reasonably taut, and just
reeled it out so that it was laying on the ground.  I cut grass with a 3
1/2 cutting height for the fall season.  This spring I cannot find the
cable, and am no longer worried about cutting the grass over it.

73 Uncle Henry

--
Henry G. Elwell, Jr. - N4UH

Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting.