Re: Topband: PJ2

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PJ2
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:06:28 -0500

Jim, Mike, and others:

The Signal Point (PJ2T) station's 160 Meter arsenal is:

Station:
   - There are four KW stations always installed.
       Receive antenna selection is currently available
       only at Stations 1 & 3 (but we're going to fix
       that!).

   - Contest radio of choice is FT-1000MP (4). We also have
       available Ten Tec Omni VI, IC-765, TS-930 (2),
       and TS-940 (2). We would not object to donation
       of four Orions from Ten Tec!

   - The power limit on Curacao is 1 KW DC INPUT, and we
       abide by that limitation (yes, really!).

Transmit Antenna:
    - Inv-L, 65-feet straight vertical, and then
        sloping up to top of 100-foot tower. About
        50 radials (so far) ranging in length from
        50 to 200 feet.

Receive Antennas (permanently installed):
    650-foot Beverage, USA/JA
    1000-foot Beverage, Europe

Receive Antennas (Installed for contests, as needed):
    - Two Flag RX Antennas
    - AY Technologies K9AY Array

The station is on a 37-foot cliff overlooking the water,
and the transmit antenna is about 50 feet back from the
cliff (behind the house). The USA/JA Beverage is run just
a couple of feet from edge the cliff, and follows it.

The path to the USA and JA runs along the coastline, so
it's not really an over-water takeoff path (but very close).
The path passes over a bay 1/2-mile away, over about a
mile more land, and then over water again for the rest of
the journey to the USA.

The path to VK, all of Pacific, Central & South America are
over water. Venezuela is about 40 miles away.

The path to Europe is through a 130-foot high cliff! The EU
Beverage is on top of that cliff and runs down on the other
side towards Europe.

Some aerial views of the station can be seen at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/Radio/PJ2T_Aerial.htm

Outside of contests, I've made approximately 1600 QSOs
on Topband as PJ2/K8ND since November 2002! This includes
WAS and WAC, but only 82 countries for DXCC (so far). All
PJ2/K8ND and PJ2T QSOs are available on Logbook of the
World (LOTW), or QSL PJ2/K8ND via CBA and PJ2T via N9AG for
paper (photo) cards.

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND

Station Manager  PJ2T,