Topband: 599

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 599
From: Bob Eldridge <r.c.eldridge@ieee.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:28:53 -0800

This afternoon I got really p***** off when a UA station about 2000 miles away (and it was 2 hours before sunset) gave me 599 and then asked me to repeat name and qth!! My CW's not that bad, and if it was that the report should have been 299.

But what if you were perfectly readable, but the UA's English was as minimal as our Russian? I just noticed that the editor of QST in January 1930 suggested we need an abbreviation to mean "I hear you perfectly, but I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about."
The R5 is for readability, not for comprehension or operator copying skill.

Bob VE7BS