Re: Topband: Re: S-meter

To: jmaass@columbus.rr.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Re: S-meter
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 13:55:11 -0400

Jeff Maass wrote:

S-meters have little meaning when using receiving
antennas. The most copiable signals are often not
moving the needle (or bars) at all, but are R5.

Jeff, Here in the tropics the S meter always lets me know where I live by seldon dropping below S9 plus on 160. I use my S meter as a test indicator to measure f/b rejection of Beverages on BC station tests.Noise floor determination on Beverages is also a good use. For example yesterday I did something that I should have done long ago. My SW Beverage has been terminated in a chain link fence railing and support post which runs around my 1/2 acre plot for several hundred feet. By removing the ground connection and running the SW Beverage over the top of the fence by a few feet and down to a series of 4 foot ground rods inside the fence about 15 feet away caused my noise floor on the SW Beverage to drop about 1 and a half S units on 160. The signal levels from reference BC stations in Columbia and Venezuela did not drop at all. I repeated the test several times to make sure I was getting a correct result. In the morning I worked a bunch of solid JA contacts on this antenna.I would imagine that part of this success was due to a skew path to the southwest. Yet my S meter let me know I was making some improvement in the ability for this Beverage to receive.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ