Re: Topband: ? re Electric fence wire - fence QRN suppression

To: "R Webb" <g0urr@btopenworld.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ? re Electric fence wire - fence QRN suppression
From: "John Rogers" <JohnG3PQA@onetel.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:17:25 -0000
From: "R Webb" <g0urr@btopenworld.com>
Hi All, in the Stew Perry, I used Electric Fence Wire, ie 3 strands of
silver wire wound within many strands of synthetic rope.
It seemed to work ok, but I do wonder if a multi stranded copper wire would
have worked better ?
Robb G0URR

If the woven electric fence wire is the same as I use here, purchased from
local farm/horse shops, then it has little use as an antenna. I measured its
resistance as 2 ohms per foot, you might like to check yours. Its RF
resistance would be even greater. The conducting elements are stainless
steel, interwoven with nylon tape.

Great for fences, but a menace for 160m. - unfortunately it is used
extensively in our area (and possibly throughout UK) and gives rise to
particular joint problems with resulting qrn to my beverages. When knotted
or even clamped it always seems to arc sooner or later. Soldering the
stainless wire without special flux seems nearly impossible - the only way I
have found to overcome the problem is to unravel an inch or so of the ends
and join them in a section of  "choc block", covering afterwards with
electrical tape. Temporary fixes can be made by winding a few inches of
copper wire across the joint and around each side. Can anyone suggest other
ways of joining this stuff?
73's
John G3PQA