Re: Topband: 160M Friday Evening, Etc.

To: "charles Lewis" <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Friday Evening, Etc.
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:30:11 -0800
HI Charlie

DON'T give up!

The low receiving dipole may very well do you some good. I have found that it really wants to be full size but that its far less critical about most other things. I ran it through the trees just by throwing the wire over a branch because that was expedient for a DXP install. I think I would suspend the wire from some form of insulator in a more permanent installation. I also think it will do just fine hanging off the side of palm trees.. It doesn't need to be perfectly straight either. I would not be surprised at good results with the dipole in a wide Vee configuration. The ones I have used have all been between 2.5 and 5 meters above ground. I do NOT recommend any higher. If you have a choice, I think putting it at about 3 to 3.5 meters gives the best compromise between desired antenna height (1.5 to 2.5 M), and having it high enough for people and even normal vehicles ( or horses, but I dont think you have any there). We have fed these antennas with regular TV coax, sometimes with a transformer, most times not.

If you have wire, coax and rope/twine, you have everything you need to construct a test antenna.. no need for fancy hardware

When you listen on it before signals show up, it will sound noisier than the other antennas- mostly because it collects quite a bit more of the field energy than a shortened antenna... but I think it will surprise you and hear signals well... or at least better than the classic small "low noise' antennas. On my trips, it has steadily outperformed other receive antennas, including beverages approaching: "standard". If your location is clear of daytime noise, I would expect this antenna to work best in the first hour or two at sunset, and then a classic beverage might do better, based on our experiences at XZ0A/XZ1N

Try one- even a simple temporary install, and give it a few days to evaluate.. conditions vary enough on this magic band that it may be hard to tell in one night... altho the difference at XZ0A was quite dramatic and immediate, that was near the solar high, and the propagation mode was anything but standard.

I am not sure it will help with static crashes, but it may well bring the desired signals enough out of the background noise to help, and your TS930 with the AGC OFF may help with that.

try it and let us all know how it works for you

73

Robin, WA6CDR, HS0ZFT
HS72B/ZA1A/XZ0A/XZ1N

From: "charles Lewis" <s9ss160m@yahoo.com> To: <topband@contesting.com> Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 08:37 Subject: Topband: 160M Friday Evening, Etc. Snip
The 160M band has seemed to be even noisier (QRN) here this year than last year. So far, I have had only very limited success, even with Europe. Most nights I can hear nothing except severe noise.
Snip>
Most of the stations I worked that night were only copyable through the high noise on the pennant, which with its broad pattern does well also for Europe even though it is aimed at the USA. I was alternating between it and my transmitting antenna for reception. The pennant has definitley been an asset. Thanks to all those who helped me with it.

Based on accounts I have read here recently, I would like to try a low half wave dipole for reception. I'm still trying to figure out where I can hang it. Also, I will have to order some materials before I can build it.
SNip
I was dismayed to observe back in late November how much better DXpeditioner Pertti, OH2PM, when operating as S9BB and S9A could hear 160M signals from his seaside location near the northern side of the island. He was working many stations that I could not even hear in the QRN (not VOA QRM). I am also located by the sea, but I am around the eastern side of the island. That places several miles of lossy ground between my QTH and the USA and Western Europe. I had a much better location back in my days as S92SS when I lived in the town of Sao Tome.