Re: Topband: buried radial problems.

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: buried radial problems.
From: "Doug Waller" <NX4D@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:43:41 -0500
In general, you want the radiation resistance to be large compared
to the other two (or the other two to be small in comparison to
the radiation resistance). With a short antenna, you make the
radiation resistance larger by making the antenna longer. You make
the ground resistance smaller by using more radials and making
them longer. You make the wire resistance smaller by using fatter
wire.

Until recently, we were stuck with the low radiation resistance of a single vertical, 18-36 ohms. My 60 ft tall tower with massive topload measures 18 ohms and my poor, small-lot ground radials add another 10 ohms to that for a feedpoint impedance of 28 ohms.

But the Kinstar patent changes all the rules. By separately feeding 4 to 6 short verticals with individual coax feeds, the radiation resistance of each vertical wire increases substantially. Radiation resistance can be represented by a ratio of voltage divided by current. A higher radiation resistance indicates that higher voltages are present in each vertical wire, than in a single vertical structure.

A significant unnoticed advantage of the Kinstar design is that poor ground radial systems now play a much less significant role in the efficiency of the antenna. While increased current can not fight the effects of a high resistance ground, increased voltage can, and DOES!

An EZnec model agrees, indicating much less loss of gain, as ground resistance is increased. A disadvantage is that very large toploads are required for these short vertical cages. All that additional current must have some place to go.

Happy Holidays,

Doug / NX4D