Re: Topband: Coax capacitor losses

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coax capacitor losses
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:42:40 -0500
> significant impact on the signal strength?

Hi Tree,

I'm not saying it impacts your signal level.

I'm only saying we can't possibly conclude a coaxial cable
capacitor it is great in all situations because it is good
in one.

In high power systems with low or modest current flowing in
the capacitor and high system resistance and reactance the
most likely worry is voltage breakdown, not loss. In low
resistance systems, efficiency is a larger issue.

The only point I'm making is a long coaxial capacitor is
probably the worse possible style of capacitor that exists.
That doesn't mean it won't work.

If you look at the loss resistances I measured in traps
you'll find coaxial cable traps are the worse type I tested
by a significant margin. It doesn't mean they are useless,
it simply means it is one of the worse forms of capacitor
(or inductor) we can use. We should be mindful of that, and
not assume because they seem problem-free in one case they
will work in other cases.

73 Tom