RE: Topband: Re: Coax capacitor losses

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: Re: Coax capacitor losses
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:54:13 -0600
Whenever I have needed a capacitor in a hurry, such as on a DXpedition
or during a contest I have used coaxial cable. If the amount of capacitance
is very high, say, a few hundred pF, then I use a number of short lengths of
cable in parallel. Saves having to work out the transmission line equations
for a cable that would be an appreciable part of a 1/4 wavelength. If I need,
for instance, 180 pF, then I may use three, 2-ft pieces of RG-213 in parallel,
or even, six 1-ft long pieces in parallel. Just makes life simpler, especially
when under time pressure or limited component availability.

I have also made low/mid VHF matching caps by paralleling short lengths of
twisted-pair wire made with Teflon-insulated, hookup wire. I have been doing this
with phased arrays of coaxial-collinears at 138 MHz. When you are doing a
research project in the boonies in Alaska or Chile or Antigua you make do with
what you can get.

--John W0UN