Re: Topband: Non-optimum antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Non-optimum antennas
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:37:58 -0500
> call, when he was barely audible here.  Question is, why?
I would welcome
> any speculations about why this crazy arrangement works at
all, much less
> why it seems to work fairly well, as well as any thoughts
for
> improvement.  Or should I just put out more radials, and
then relax and
> enjoy it?

Why ask why?

I was happy as a pig in slop with my 200ft tower until
Spratly Island couldn't hear me. Then it was time for a four
square. After calling Charlie and Robin and not being heard,
I thought it was time for 5dB more gain.

I have great confidence that no matter how well you think
your antenna works, someday you will decide it is not good
enough. That's what makes antennas fun.

73 Tom