Topband: Non-optimum antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Non-optimum antennas
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:50:31 -0500
At 05:53 AM 12/6/2004, Tom Rauch wrote:
Frankly Greg there is no iron-clad rule about how these
systems work and what they do. Results depend heavily on the
tower and what is on it and a half-dozen other things.

Tom makes a point I've been wondering about, based on my experience.

Since about 1958, I have been off 160. Last fall, I decided to try to shunt feed my 97-foot tower with three yagis on it, one side-mounted at 69 feet and the other two on top, with mast extending to 104 feet. This figured, by rule of thumb, to be well over 1/4 wavelength electrically. Further complicating matters, the tower supports a 4-element 80-meter lazy vee dipole array. In order for the array to work properly, the dipole feedlines must be brought in to the tower somewhere 25-30 feet above ground, and thence down to the switchbox.

Amid warnings that it couldn't work, I tried a shunt feed at 40 and 50 feet. A straight gamma produced no match, so I hooked up an omega match, which readily brought the SWR in to 1:1 at 1830. Laid out a few 120-foot radials.

To my surprise, the antenna seems to work quite well. Even with only 200 watts, I seem to be louder at the other end than other stations are here. I broke a number of pileups last weekend, and worked RO4M/6 first call, when he was barely audible here. Question is, why? I would welcome any speculations about why this crazy arrangement works at all, much less why it seems to work fairly well, as well as any thoughts for improvement. Or should I just put out more radials, and then relax and enjoy it?

73, Pete N4ZR