Topband: Close to earth Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Close to earth Beverage
From: "k1fz" <k1fz@prexar.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:40:49 -0500
A previous posting about a Beverage antenna 1 inch above the ground caught my
interest. I ran a 290 foot Beverage wire about one foot in the center and
tapering down to ground level at each end.  The termination resistance was 275
ohms.  It was a better performer that my 10 foot high Beverage in the same
direction.  Good strength, better pattern, and quieter. The most impressive
reception was when I worked RA6AX and SV3RF last night.  They were barely
detectable on my phased verticals, about Q-3 on my 10 foot high Beverage and
RA6AX was 589 and SV3RF 579.  The conditions were poor due to high QRN. The QRN
went way down on the close to earth Beverage.  I think the big question is
going to be- How will it work under snow and Ice this winter.
Thank you to those who let me know my Web Site was down
73
Bruce-K1FZ