RE: Topband: Receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Receivers
From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:04:06 -0000
There is little doubt that from the time of the introduction of the
IC-746 through the IC-756 Pro II there was ONE acceptable receiver
introduced by ICOM.  It was the IC-746.  I have no idea how Icom
could show their faces in amateur radio circles where each succeeding
generation 756, 756 Pro,  746 Pro, 756 Pro II got WORSE in one way
or another in the receiver department  (Read the ARRL lab tests).  I
have a favorite contester that I operate with. I have no idea what he
sees in the IC756ProII.  It is such a dog in the presence of strong
signals (especially on the low bands) that it is a testimonial to
his abilities as an operator that he gets the scores he puts up
every year.  I get fatigued after listening to the 756ProII after
two hours and my brain shuts off (what little is left of it).

The IC-765 is a very good receiver as is in the IC-781.  I have growing
experience with both of these receivers at N2NT and K3LR.  They are
terrific in the presence of strong signals on 40, 80, 160 meters.  I am
not certain that Icom has beaten the 781 with the 7800 given the ARRL
lab results.  I make no other comments on the 756ProIII or the 7800
since I have no experience.

I owned the 756ProII for one year and got rid of it and got my
FT-1000 and heavily modified it.  I also hope to prove (in the heat
of battle) that the SDR-1000 is close to the ultimate low band receiver.  I
measured it with Leif Asbrink SM5BSZ (author Linrad and receiver expert) and
the BDR was outstanding and the dynamic range was good and the
receiver was as good at 1 Khz separation as it was at 20 Khz with IP3
of 29.5 dBm.  It is not ready for prime time for contest operation because
of the packaging and the computer interface for anything other than use as
an outboard receiver.  That will change I think with time.  It would be good
for individual operation.  I will report later on my results.

Bob
N4HY