Topband: Receivers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Receivers
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:26:25 -0500
>So what's the verdict on a weak signal 160M/80M capable receiver when
one has a budget of about $1000.00 and can't go out and get an Orion?

        I would consider a Kenwood TS-830S or Ten-Tec Corsair II
with CW filters, either is around $400.  If you want to spend more,
the Elecraft K2 RX is OK except for phase noise although a fully
outfitted one will cost upwards of $1500.  I built the K2/NB/160 and
someone gave me a KAF2...total cost of $677 plus shipping and
my time to build it.  It works great as a QRP/portable rig but has
some problems with strong close-in signals (e.g. hearing S9+30
W1AW on 1817.5 when 3.5 kHz away).

73, Bill W4ZV