RE: Topband: ARRL Bandwidth petition

To: "'Jim Monahan'" <K1PX@msn.com>,"'Donald Chester'" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <k6se@juno.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: ARRL Bandwidth petition
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:15:32 -0400

>   ARRL was guided by advice from an Ad Hoc Digital Committee
> formed to advise on issues that arise from the development of
> new high-frequency digital data modes of operation. In
> summary, the recommendations of that Committee were to delete
> the symbol rate limitations in Sections 97.307(f)(3) and (4);
> to segment the bands below 28.0 MHz by nominal bandwidths of
> 200, 500 and 2700 Hz as upper limits; and to require that
> digital data protocols be published, to facilitate
> monitoring. The Committee was aware of the bandwidths and
> frequency segments under consideration by Region 1 of the
> International Amateur Radio Union. The bandwidth of 200 Hz
> was chosen to accommodate Morse telegraphy and the narrowest
> RTTY/data emissions. A bandwidth of 500 Hz would permit the
> foregoing modes and a wide range of RTTY/data modes and some
> image modes yet to be designed. IARU Region 1 studies chose a
> bandwidth of 2700 Hz for SSB telephony and to accommodate
> digital voice and higher speed data. The Rules already
> specify a bandwidth of 2800 Hz for SSB voice in the 60-meter
> band. As the issue is a maximum regulatory bandwidth, not
> practice, which varies from (say) 2400 to 2800 Hz, a
> bandwidth of 3000 Hz is recommended.

Unfortunately, the Ad Hoc Digital Committee was heavily stacked
with supporters of "semi-automatic" message forwarding systems.
their proposal, adopted without discussion by the ARRL allows
these systems to respond to any caller without regard to other
frequency usage.   Since NTS is considering deemphasizing CW
traffic handling in favor of these internet connected "semi-
automatic" systems ... it is entirely possible that we will see
a bunch of them show up on 160/80 meters!

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK

... and now back to Charley clean-up ...