Re: Topband: ARRL Bandwidth petition

To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Earl W Cunningham" <k6se@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL Bandwidth petition
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:28:23 -0400
Your reasons and rationale are compelling. >>

They aren't my reasons. It's all just the way it works!

The FCC was established because our Government (at one time)
understood Congess, Senate, and the general non-technical
population couldn't make wise communications decisions. They
wanted money and votes to be no part of our communications
laws, and the system to be engineered with common sense.
That's changed now, in case you haven't noticed.

If the FCC was still run by Engineers, we would never have
had a stupid thing like BPL get past the suggestion stage.
Now money and potential votes drive rulemaking decisions.

Technical people at the FCC long ago decided bands needed
segments, and they knew how notch filters and other things
worked. They wisely established minimum protection.

Perhaps my view is tainted by my own values, values not
shared by others.  That value being that I personally hate
the encroachment of government into the lives of reasonable
people. >>

I do agree if every person on earth was honest, reasonable,
and had common sense we wouldn't need laws.

Earl, how did that deregulation of energy companies in CA
work for you? Did you enjoy the newfound freedom? GA did the
same thing with natural gas, and now people are having a
time paying for natural gas. Deregulation created a bigger
enforcement problem than we ever had when it was regulated,
and now requires even more Government workers to insure
people don't have problems.

Some things just require regulation.

Maybe that's the problem.  For me to expect the general
population to behave in a reasonable manner is in itself
completely unreasonable.>>

99% of people make good decisions most of the time. It's the
1% who cause 99% of the problems. That's why we have laws.

 If your mindset is 'a new law for every problem,' then
segment, and create a new layer of problems.  If your
mindset is to educate, appeal, and penalize bad behavior
outside the jurisdiction of the court system, then leave it
as is, but begin to educate, appeal, and penalize bad
behavior.>>>

No one has been sucessful at getting many people to use
common sense. One W8 has been aggrivating people for 40
years that I know of by intentionally violating bandplans on
160 and 80 meters. When he disrupted a band new Ham's first
QSO, he told the guy "it looks like you picked the wrong
hobby."  If you think you can be successful, why not do
everyone a favor and get him to quit aggrivating people?

Who got the two or three people who worked 1823 in the
mornings to move up the otherwise empty band for their local
ragchews? It sure wasn't common sense or peer pressure. I
have CD's full of sound files where they actually planned
QRM'ing people, because they "could". That's just how some
people think Ford, and that's why we need rules.

If we had a narrow exclusive segment, it would be unlikely a
G3 would have tried to put PSK in a commonly used
weak-signal SSB spot in the USA.

Segments make sense, because they provide clear firm
guidelines. It's like having a yellow line down the center
of a road Ford. It stops people without common sense or
people who enjoy running others off the road from passing
where they shouldn't just because they legally can.

 If 160 had a logical segmentation by rule, 99% of the time
and energy people waste dealing with 1% of the population
would vanish. Everyone would get along better.
I filed a 160 bandplan petition back in the 1970's. I agreed
with another one that was recently filed, as did an
overwhelming number of respondents. I don't know how much
clearer the ARRL and the FCC need to see a message of what
people want.

All that aside, technical reasons are so compelling it
shouldn't matter if most people do NOT want segments, they
should still happen.

The rest of this is not a topic for a 160 reflector, but
I've already filed my comments to the ARRL and the FCC. I
filed a rule making petition in the 70's, and I filed a
response last year.

73 Tom