Topband: Automatic Bounces

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Automatic Bounces
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:36:55 -0400
        One of our members has experienced a couple
of bounces by Mailman and I would first like to explain
these:

Bounce Message #1:

> You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
> been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
> being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
> topband-owner@contesting.com

If you get this message and believe you are a member,
it probably means you are attempting to post under
a different E-mail address than the one you are subscribed
under.  Check that you are posting from your subscribed
address.

Bounce Message #2:

>The message's content type was not explicitly allowed

I'm not 100% sure, but this may happen if you try to post
messages in HTML only.  Mailman normally strips out
HTML which may appear after your text message, but if
you post in HTML ONLY, it may send this bounce message.

        In either case, I NEVER see these bounces since
they are done automatically by Mailman.  If you get one of
these messages, first check your sending address and
make sure you are not sending in HTML ONLY.  If you still
have problems, contact me directly and I'll try to help.  I
don't want anyone to think these automatic bounces are
coming from me.  I do bounce messages if I feel the
content does meet the reflector guidelines, but bounces
like the above are not even visible to me unless you let
me know about it.

73, Bill W4ZV