Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:28:48 -0600
>I doubt the "properly timed" exists all that frequently.

I think either an amp is designed to have proper timing (i.e. sequencing) or
it is not.  My Alpha is all set up to sequence CW but you have to plug your
key to the Alpha, not the radio, and the Alpha tells the radio when to key
down and key up.  This works perfect, is silent, the waveform looks good,
etc.

My Henry, on the other hand, is not made to do this, won't run break-in, and
in order to ensure the relay closes prior to RF coming through, I use a
feature in TR log which closes the PTT before initiating CW, including the
paddles.  This way when I hit a dit, TRlog closes the amp relay before the
computer sends the dit to the radio.

The delay for this is a user-defined variable.

So I would say getting "properly timed" is not all that difficult and exists
more than one might think.

Mark, N5OT