Re: Topband: dynamic range

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: dynamic range
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:21:37 -0500
Jim Jarvis wrote:

> 1)  What's s9? I've got references indicating 50uV or 100uV.
>       The front end of a decent receiver is spec'd at .1uV
>       sensitivity, making 100uV a reasonable 'full scale' signal.
>       100uV plus 60dB is....gee...100V! A very large signal,
>       indeed.

Correction:  100 uV plus 60 dB is 100 mV, still a strong signal but a long way
from 100V.  Decibels (for voltages) are defined as

dB = 20*log(V2/V1)

>       Going the other way...9 wiffy-units*6dB is 54dB to get to
>       S0.  A mere 30dB down from 100uV brings you to .1uV, or
>       the receiver noise floor.  Where'd the other 20dB go?
>       Or could it be the wiffy-unit problem, again?

Correction:  30 dB down from 100 uV is about 3 uV.  See above.

> 2)  Who among us has a receiver which is calibrated in dBm?
>       Who among us trusts the logarithmic calibration of their
>       wiffy-unit meter, really?  And over how many decades of
>       its range? (regardless of indicated units.)

The S-meter is still quite useful for measuring signal level differences if you
have an external step attenuator.  You add step attenuation to equalize two
different signal levels on your S-meter and read the difference as the amount
of attenuation you added in.  I built a very simple step attenuator many years
ago from a simple Handbook circuit.  It has resolution down to 3 dB, which is
good enough for most measurements.  You can easily build in lower resolution,
if needed.

> 5)  Interesting if the new Tentec claims -140dBc/Hz noise output.
>       Add 10dB for an amp..still impressive, and well below the level of
>       atmospheric noise, if it proves true.

The Orion spec is indeed very impressive.  (My IC-781, which I'm replacing with
a new Orion, has phase noise that measures at about -105 dBc/Hz for close-in
spacings).  However, to compare phase noise to atmospheric noise, you have to
reference a specific input signal power level.  If the input signal is strong
enough, then phase noise may be audible.

73, John W1FV