Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?

To: <k1htv@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More clicks with QSK?
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:23:04 -0500
From: <k1htv@verizon.net>

 > Since the T-R relay follows every dot and dash, shouldn't
> this result in more key clicks?  Or is the TS850, and possibly other
radios,
> designed so well that these dot/dash events don't produce
undesirable
> key clicks?

If you are doing things right, your relays should be "making" before
the 850's rf out rises, and "breaking" after it dies. If not you are
closing/opening relay contacts under power with all the attendant
nasties.

Relays don't last long, nor certain amp components, under those
conditions, nor for that matter do pin diodes, which like to have
their "state" settled before application of power.

Assuming that you are not having relay problems over and over again,
nor blowing pin diodes, your click or not-click will depend on the
keyed waveshape, per all the prior postings on the subject.

73, Guy.

BTW, the MP has two delaying circuits just to deal with contact
closure issues, more particularly with amps. They are set with menu
items 7-4 and 7-5. I'm sure there are other rigs with devices like
this, but I do not have a list.