Re: Topband: VS6DO

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VS6DO
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:20:13 +0000
LA5HE remembered:

I had the pleasure of being invited to dinner and Paul's home in H-K.
It was interesting to see his VERY QRO home made amplifier and his
" antenna farm " on the roof of a high rise building.  There were radials
all over the place.
Paul told me , that he would leave his  " CQ machine " going for quite a
while on 160, while the qsos were far and few between.

Paul was a super fellow and I wonder where in the world he is now.  He
talked about moving to Californa or to Australia.
Being married to a beautiful Chinese lady, he felt their children were too
exotic looking to be happy in UK. Of course these days with people from all
over the world settling down even in my neck of the woods, things are
different .

By the time I arrived in the mid-80s, Paul lived in a block of flats on (appropriately) Broadcast Drive on Kowloon-side. His 80 & 160m antennas at the time were inverted-vees, apex supported by a home-made 10-odd meterfoldover mast & the ends were tied to adjacent blocks.

Immediately to the north of this location is the range of mountains which
give Kowloon it's name - Paul was adamant that one should pick a QTH by
its LP potential, not SP (takeoff was something like 20 or more degrees
over most of east to west through north at that location).

He retired from a long career in the police & his later departure from our
securities watchdog came after constant oscillations over whether to go
to UK or W6 after that - finally settling on W6.

Last seen in town on a visit at a lunch with other VS6 OTs a year or two
ago, he was doing great, though getting a little bored with W6.  I think UK
is too cold for any of us & it turns out that I've known Paul's son for years
but didn't realize it.  Nice bunch of folks & I think it's fair to say nobody
has really filled Paul's shoes on the bands since he left.

73, VR2BrettGraham