Re: Topband: Cone of Silence

To: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cone of Silence
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:27:55 -0700
Gary,

I understand also your view of the situation BUT, if this were true, then to
my view entire Beverage antenna concept would be destroyed.  Why?

Because of the slope of a few degrees, both in the forward and reverse
directions, of the element as it sags between supports over the majority of
its length.

In the same vein, the "most simple Beverage" as described in ON4UN's book is
a single center support model with 1/2 its length being sloped upward and
the other 1/2 sloping downward.

If the theory you propose is correct, then this model is nothing but two
vertical elements.  In practice this model works VERY well with just as much
side rejection as its more "textbook" siblings.

Also, the Beverage antennas constructed over sloping terrain, many with much
more slope than the 11 degrees we obtain with a 5x1 termination slope, work
very well.

As an example of this type of implementation, the Beverages I constructed on
Thaytay Khun Island for the XZ0A DXped in 2000 were nearly as far from
textbook as they could be.  The island was small and the station area was
nearly 200 feet above the shoreline.  Consequently the Beverage antennas
would for the most part start off one side of the island and carry across to
the other side.

They were supported above ground by laying them on the jungle foilage.  In
one location a small canyon was crossed with the antennas utilizing azimuths
in that direction going down into the canyon and back up the other side.

My experience had taught me that this method is much less detrimental to the
performance of the Beverage than suspending the wire where it would be 25-30
feet above ground for a short distance.  In my own home installation and at
other permanent installations I utilize 4 "ground" wires to form a grid
underneath my Beverage element when the antenna must cross small canyons.
This elevates the actual earth ground such that the Beverage does NOT appear
as a sky wire aerial.  I could not do this in Burma.

Back to the subject.  The XZ0A antennas were signal split and filtered to
feed separate selectors for use at the 40, 80 and 160 Meter stations.  I
personally operated ALL of these stations during the 4 weeks of the DXped.
For our use, the antennas performed near textbook.  We had electrical
interference from both the Burmese and Thai mainland cities approximately 5
miles distant.  We had atmospheric noise from the south Pacific in the
direction of Australia.

In all cases, on all three bands, the directionality of the antennas was
superb.  When using antennas that were at right angles to the noise sources,
the noises were not detectable to the detriment of even the lowest level
received signals.

In summary, I believe that as long as the slope of the antenna, whether the
main element or the sloped terminations, is maintained at less than 30
degrees from horizontal AND maintained within 10 feet or so of earth ground
influence, will have neglible pickup of normal level vertically polarized
signals from the sides.

By the same token, I believe that only a SHORT piece of truly vertically
installed wire as part of the element or the ground connection after the
termination resistor will GREATLY reduce the effectiveness of the Beverage
antenna from its intended use.

I am always in the learning mode and certainly do NOT know it all.  I am
continually expermenting with "new" and different methods of installing
Beverage antennas.  I have plans to try some of the sides of a mountain with
near 45 degree slopes BUT in the horizontal plane along the side of the
mountain.

Have a good day.  Off to the salt mine for me.  73 de Milt, N5IA