Re: Topband: Cone of Silence

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cone of Silence
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:25:48 -0600
Sloping the ends of a Beverage is one of many antenna ideas that seem
plausible, but do not hold up under further analysis.

I know Tom W8JI has explained this before, but I'll try again...

It doesn't matter whether you slope the last 50 feet of the Beverage or
continue 40 feet of it horizontal and run 10 feet straight down. Either way,
you have 10 feet of vertical distance.  A vertically-polarized wavefront
arriving from the side will 'see' only the 10 foot high vertical component
of the sloped end -- the same as with a straight vertical wire.

73, Gary
K9AY