Topband: Radio Location Beacons, etc. de S9SS

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radio Location Beacons, etc. de S9SS
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 06:08:49 -0800 (PST)
I have only once heard what appeared to be a radio
locator beacon on 160M here in Sao Tome. Where I do
hear what appear to be radio location beacons every
day is on 10M.  They are very numerous.  After a
fairly long silent period, they transmit a very long
dash followed by a one or two letter CW ID.  They are
usually a bit chirpy.  Some are strong enough to be
annoying.  It is often difficult to find a frequency
in the lower half of the band that is free of them.

We are having a very rainy wet season with lots of
Equatorial thunderstorms this year. I have not had
much success on 160M so far this season.  I am still
listening regularly.  I have worked a few Europeans,
and VK6HD got very lucky a few weeks ago.

73,
Charles - S9SS