Topband: 5X

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 5X
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:40:40 -0500
I was quite surprised tonight when I came out of the office, just after 0500z,
and flipped on the mobile rig to find a 5X1 calling CQ on 1828, quite copyable
even though I was in a light industrial area with some noise (but not unusual
to hear Europeans from that spot either).

I was even more surprised when he came back to my first call -- though while he
had my call correct he wasn't sure and kept asking for repeats, then faded into
the noise a few minutes later as I was driving out of the parking lot.

Upon checking sunrise time for 5X, it seems theirs was 0335z today -- hearing
one an hour and a half past this would be most unusual.

Was anyone else QRV at this time hearing this station? I heard no other DX on
for the rest of my hour-long drive home.

73/Jon AA1K