Topband: Beverage system improvements

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage system improvements
From: "Tom Baugh" <tombaugh@discoverynet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:47:18 -0600
A note to topbanders looking to maximize space utilization.
Many will already know this information.
My lot is an unusual 5 acres 900 feet long E/W and only 270 N/S.
I continue to try to improve my listening system (as many do on topband) and
learned of a switchable system.
Our local club member (Charlie N0TT) and I talked through a system that he
uses at his home with an dual direction transformer. He uses the coax for
the switching control line. He customized the whole system for me and my
situation. I have to run one beverage over my driveway high enough (12 feet
at some points) to allow the UPS truck to drive under it. I use 75 Ohm RG6
and also use 300Ohm Twin lead for its slightly less (visually) noticable
profile. The switch box he custom made for me to control 2 switchable
beverages (all 560-580 feet) ne/sw, nw/se, one each E and W, one K9AY (which
uses its own control line), and the transmit vertical. He is currently
working on a similar system for fellow club member K0LW. The system has
simplified my antenna selection process while allowing me to use a two wire
beverage in two direction on one piece of land. Working with Charlie has
been awesome thank go to him for his insite and design. he's on the
reflector if you wish to ask more detainled questions of the system.

Tom
AE9B