RE: Topband: measuring transformer core inductance

To: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: measuring transformer core inductance
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:17:25 -0800
Steve
To measure inductance at the frequency of use, I use either of two
instruments.
I have the Autek VA-1 and the AEA HF-CIA antenna analyzers.  This method
would
work with the MFJ anatenna analyzers also.
To measure inductance with some accuracy, I connect an inductor and
capacitor
in series with a 51 ohm resistor across the input terminal of the analyzer.
Then I tune through the expected frequency, looking for the lowest SWR
indication.
At resonance, the L and C "disappear" and the meter is looking at just the
51 ohm
resistor.  Knowing the value of C, you can readily calculate the value of L.

I too have the type of LC meter you describe, and yes, it's only useful for
measuring inductances for audio frequency work.  However, since I tinker
with
LC audio filters, it still gets used.
73, Bob N6WG