RE: Topband: measuring transformer core inductance

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: measuring transformer core inductance
From: Robert Kavanagh <ve3osz@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:52:19 -0500
At 11:22 AM 11/17/03, Richard Karlquist wrote:

Also, the RF chokes used to feed the DC into
the coax cannot be wound on non-gapped ferrite
cores, like toroids.  I see this all the time
in commercial equipment supposed designed by
engineers.  My favorite is RF amplifiers that have
beads on a DC feed with 20 amps going through it.

To make RF chokes I use iron powder toroids. Then the permeability changes only a little when you pass d.c. through the winding.

I have made RF chokes for low frequencies (400 kHz) using T-130-26 cores. About 9 metres of #30 wire wound on these cores gives an inductance of about 2.5 mH. But it takes a lot of winding !

For feeding a relay control current along the coax to remotely switch my 160 metre antenna I also use powdered iron cores to make the chokes. I don't know what material I used, unfortunately, because I just used a couple of unlabelled cores which I found in my junk box ! But I know that they were powdered iron and probably they were material 26 or something similar.

Bob, VE3OSZ