Re: Topband: Ground Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:09:41 +0000

...It looks like I have to use a LOT more sod clamps every couple of feet to nail down these radials, before I destroy my entire RF system. Are there other ways to create a ground screen? ...

The hard way would be to bury each radial 1-2" into the ground. THat's the way I did mine, using a homemade ground plough attached to a Troy-built garden tiller. I laid 16,000 feet of radials in about 3 days. Another possibility would be to disc up the ground during dry weather, to a fine powder. Lay the radials, and staple where necessary. After a few rains, the radials will bury themselves, and as soon as grass begins to grow, they will be beneath the sod.

If you mow the grass very short, you should be able to lay the radials, and staple them wherever necessary, and as the grass grows they will be well hidden in the thatch. Just keep the mower blade near maximum height for the first few seasons, and eventually the radials will end up below the sod.
For sod staples, I use some of my #8 copperweld wire, of which I have an abundance. I just cut off about 18" lengths, bend them double, and drive into the ground with a hammer. The copper sheath will not react with the copper radial wire. Avoid galvanised wire at all costs. Zinc is highly reactive with copper, and the resulting corrosion is apt to result in TVI and strange varieties of cross modulation, even if it is limited to the ground system.

I am speaking from painful experience.

Don K4KYV