Topband: Ground Radials

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ground Radials
From: "Fred Cresce" <fcresce@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:36:18 -0500
Hello Fellow TopBand ops,
I have a small "wonder" vertical on my wooded lot. And I would like to
construct an inverted L , also needing a ground screen. There's about 50
radials for both antennas already laid out on the ground with some sod staples
holding the radials down. I'm one of those types of fellows who likes to keep
the lot clean and fairly free from the leaves and the twigs and branches. My
ground radials are really catching hell from the raking.I  also notice on my
clumsy days, that I'm tripping over these radial wires too. Blowing leaves with
my backpack blower is better, but there is a time where they need to be raked
into the Chipper / shredder machine.I might answer my own question here. It
looks like I have to use a LOT more sod clamps every couple of feet to nail
down these radials, before I destroy my entire RF system. Are there other ways
to create a ground screen? I understand that chicken wire is a good thing for
RF ground, but how much of that would be equal to the individual wires I'm
using now? What are the rest of yous guys doing that have ground radials in a
woods situation? I would appreciate some innovative ways around this ground
radial problem.
Thanks for any help.
Fred KC4MOP