Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>,<k4ie@hotmail.com>, "Earl W Cunningham" <k6se@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:00:40 -0600
Let me add another few cents worth...

Theoretically, two small loop antennas can have a nicely improved front lobe
and, as Tom points, with 180 degree phasing (I prefer about 165 deg.), can
add nulls in other places to improve overall directivity.

I did several experiments with this configuration three years ago.  I tried
two K9AY loops inline at 50 and 70 foot spacing. Close spacing (i.e. 1/8
wavelength or 70 feet on 160M) and near-180 degree phasing are a lossy
combination; signal levels were down 6-8 dB from the already low levels of a
single loop and I decided not to put in further effort.

Things are much better behaved and there is real gain up to 3 dB if you can
get the spacing more like 3/8 to 1/4 wave. At this point, however, much of
space-saving advantages of the small loops has been lost.

Broadside and arrays are actually the easiest to implement successfully --
phasing is in the range of 0 degrees and the larger aperture means that you
get both better directivity and gain.  They can be steered +/- 15-20 degrees
with a 45-degree (typical) phasing line.  A broadside array of loops may be
a good option for a ham with long, narrow property. A Beverage works along
the length of the property, while 2 or 3 broadside loops can provide
coverage to the sides.

Jeff -- the semi-broadside array should be workable.

73, Gary
K9AY