Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?

To: jmaass@columbus.rr.com, k4ie@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Phased Pennants: Staggered?
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:30:13 -0800
Jeff, K8ND wrote:

"I have a pair of pennants that I'd like to use.....

...Due to space available, putting them side-by-side with the desired 300
foot spacing and pointing the correct direction is a problem. Can a
similar pattern be obtained by using the same array, but installed so
that they are staggered a bit, sort of midway between in-line and
broadside?

How would one go about phasing two pennants "endfire" rather than
broadside? Is it best done as with a
transmitting vertical array?"
Two endfire Pennants will narrow the cardioid pattern only slightly.  The
TOA will also lower slightly and, of course, there will be about 3 dB
gain over a single Pennant.  There is really little advantage for the
endfire Pennant configuration.

The staggered configuration will no doubt be better, but I will have to
model that configuration to determine the proper phasing and see how it
looks, Jeff.  Please let me know what the planned spacing will be with
the Pennants staggered midway between in-line and broadside.

73, de Earl, K6SE