Topband: A/B testing K6se etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A/B testing K6se etc.
From: k6se at juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 1 18:06:53 2003
Tom, W8JI wrote:

"This is a very good point! Earl, how do you know the increase in third
harmonic 'copy' is not actually from rig defects??"
==========
If there is actually no 3rd harmonic being radiated by the BC station, I
assume that you're saying that the fundamental (at 610 kHz) is causing
the receivers under test to somehow generate a pseudo-3rd harmonic.

The fundamental is so far removed from the tuned frequency of my array
that I doubt that the fundamental is causing anything detrimental.
Additionally, when I use my MFJ-259 (or Autek VA-1) to periodically tweak
the shunt feeds on my towers there is no upward swing of the MFJ's meters
that some experience in the presence of strong BC signals.

When I tune my MP to 610.00 kHz while receiving on the 160m array, the
S-meter reads S8-1/2 with the IPO off and S7-/1/2 with the IPO on --
hardly an overwhelmingly strong fundamental at the receiver's antenna
input.

As far as I am concerned, there is an actual signal at 1830 kHz which is
steady and is therefore handy for the A/B tests.  It is heard on every
radio I have A/B'd.

On 10-meters, the test signal is WA6APQ/BCN, an amateur beacon station in
Long Beach which is also a steady ground wave signal here whose
fundamental is used (not 3rd harmonic) at 28243.9 kHz.

73, de Earl, K6SE