Topband: A/B testing K6se etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A/B testing K6se etc.
From: sentek at sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Tue Jul 1 09:35:13 2003
Lee - I've never had an Omni VI on the table here, and there is one thing
that I've always wondered about.  In the ARRL lab tests, which most folks
put great faith in, the Omni VI showed up as noise limited in the BDR test.
In short, that means that the noise floor increased by a detectable level in
the presence of a strong nearby signal.  Sales literature for the Omni VI
always touted the fact that it had the "quietest" receiver and I've never
been able to reconcile the ARRL results with the TenTec claim.  Seems to me
that while the receiver might be excellent for chasing 160 DX on a sparsely
populated band, things would be quite different when trying to copy weak DX
during a 160 contest.  At one point, I was ready to buy an Omni VI anyway,
but balked when I put the question to a TenTec rep at Dayton and got a song
and dance, with an explanation that the test result really didn't mean
anything anyway.  A subsequent series of emails with TenTec on the subject
ended with them saying they didn't have time for the discussion.  Do you
find it not to be a problem, or have you not used the rig extensively in the
situation where it might be a problem?

K8AC