Topband: Key clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Key clicks
From: eric at K3NA.ORG (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Sat May 10 12:26:58 2003
   I wonder how much of our reflector chatter about performance issues like key
clicks ever gets back to the product development
teams in places like Icom etc.  I'm sorry to confess that I've never actually
sent a letter or email to a manufacturer to tell them
how one of their products has fallen short of necessary performance standards.

   I try to imagine myself as an engineer or product manager in a large
Japanese corporation, a member of the design team for the
next radio models.  I go to work each day... work under a schedule with
deadlines... probably time-slice among several parallel
projects... and don't spend my time on English language email reflectors
sifting out information about product issues.  It's very
easy to just continue to use the same keying circuits, or synthesizer circuit
as the team used last time, with a little updating to
include newer, less expensive components.

   But if a product manager gets 50 letters from customers complaining about
key clicks and having to perform post-production mods,
that would get noticed.  When I was working as a product manager, it took far
less feedback than that for us to say "hey, maybe we
should pay attention to this."

-- Eric K3NA