Topband: Key clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Key clicks
From: w9ac at arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Thu May 8 16:43:48 2003
I continue to be amazed at how much difficulty the overseas manufacturers have
in attaining good, click-free and thump-less QSK
keying where character elements are not truncated....requiring the use of added
weighting through a keyer or other similar means.

No doubt that recent PLL/synthesize designs have contributed to the QSK
problems due to PLL setting times and complex frequency
management schemes with RIT/XIT & wide splits don't help matters either.   But
really....how difficult can it be for the three
pre-eminent manufactures to produce acceptable keying?  We already know that
Tom has improved the keying on the top-end Yaesu radios
with "less than buck" in parts.  I achieved similar results with the Ten Tec
Omni Six with two capacitor and resistor changes.  Just
a little bit of attention to the CW keying design in these radios would go a
long way.

I suspect that the keying in the Orion has taken on much of the same ALC and
other control keying circuitry as used on the Jupiter
and Pegasus....which is absolutely exemplary: nearly perfect rise/fall symmetry
and nice rounded edges, notwithstanding the leading
edge of the very first leading edge in a series of characters...and this is
generally due to a slight compromise in the ALC design.
But it is entirely possible to design a ALC circuit which produces zero ALC
power overshoot while retaining a nice initial rise
time.

What does it take for the overseas companies to listen to us on this issue?
Perhaps the FCC should only "type accept" amateur
equipment contingent on the manufacturers' ability to produce evidence that the
occupied CW bandwidth falls within some
pre-determined and limited amount.

-Paul, W9AC